From an eMail to Mom
To: mom@aol.com
From: axis@iraqidesert.com
Date: 30 Oct 2004 0430 GMT
Subject: Thanks!
Thanks again for the care packages. The pictures made my day, especially the one Austin drew of me videotaping a tank. Everyone got a big kick out of that one. I told everyone that the next package will probably have deer jerky in it, so I have half a dozen guys stationed outside my tent in case I try to slip by without sharing. (I guess what I’m trying to say is, it's my life or the jerky, so…I hope Dad got a deer.) And if you make Christmas cookies, can you send me some? I miss homemade Christmas cookies, especially the chocolate peanut butter chip ones.
Not much new here. I'm staying very busy between work and being president of the airmen's council. We start shooting hometown Holiday greetings next week and I expect about 150 participants -- that's a lot of videotape. Fortunately, I have some volunteers to help me keep it all flowing smoothly. I'll make sure you get a copy of mine if I do one.
My allergies have started acting up again. I was surprised, because I haven't had a single episode since I started on the Zyrtec. Apparently even the strongest allergy medication can't protect a person allergic to dust from the desert. It gets so thick here sometimes you can't see a hundred yards. I have to clean my desk twice a week just to keep the grit out of my keyboard.
Other than that, things are fairly pleasant here most of the time. There aren't as many bugs as they warned me about. It's funny how we get a dozen safety briefings on various vicious strains of spiders, scorpions and parasite-ridden sand fleas, but so far the only bugs I've seen here are regular old flies. And man, are they aggressive! Those suckers will sit right on your eyeball if you don't blink fast enough. You swat them away and they only move over an inch. Now I understand how the starving orphans in Sally Struthers' commercials are so covered in flies -- you can't get away from them. I made the mistake of yawning outdoors one day and almost swallowed one. Gross, huh?
From: axis@iraqidesert.com
Date: 30 Oct 2004 0430 GMT
Subject: Thanks!
Thanks again for the care packages. The pictures made my day, especially the one Austin drew of me videotaping a tank. Everyone got a big kick out of that one. I told everyone that the next package will probably have deer jerky in it, so I have half a dozen guys stationed outside my tent in case I try to slip by without sharing. (I guess what I’m trying to say is, it's my life or the jerky, so…I hope Dad got a deer.) And if you make Christmas cookies, can you send me some? I miss homemade Christmas cookies, especially the chocolate peanut butter chip ones.
Not much new here. I'm staying very busy between work and being president of the airmen's council. We start shooting hometown Holiday greetings next week and I expect about 150 participants -- that's a lot of videotape. Fortunately, I have some volunteers to help me keep it all flowing smoothly. I'll make sure you get a copy of mine if I do one.
My allergies have started acting up again. I was surprised, because I haven't had a single episode since I started on the Zyrtec. Apparently even the strongest allergy medication can't protect a person allergic to dust from the desert. It gets so thick here sometimes you can't see a hundred yards. I have to clean my desk twice a week just to keep the grit out of my keyboard.
Other than that, things are fairly pleasant here most of the time. There aren't as many bugs as they warned me about. It's funny how we get a dozen safety briefings on various vicious strains of spiders, scorpions and parasite-ridden sand fleas, but so far the only bugs I've seen here are regular old flies. And man, are they aggressive! Those suckers will sit right on your eyeball if you don't blink fast enough. You swat them away and they only move over an inch. Now I understand how the starving orphans in Sally Struthers' commercials are so covered in flies -- you can't get away from them. I made the mistake of yawning outdoors one day and almost swallowed one. Gross, huh?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home